The Public Health Association of South Africa (PHASA) is a voluntary organisation of individuals passionate about population health improvements and the reduction of health inequities, and whose work focuses on the prevention of disease, the promotion of health, and the improved functioning of the country’s health care system.
- Have a national voice as part of an organisation representing public health practitioners throughout South Africa.
- Have the opportunity to join, or start, a public health special interest group
- Network with public health experts from around the country
- Be affiliated with the World Confederation of Public Health
- Vote, nominate and be nominated and elected for the PHASA executive committee.
- Vote for resolutions at the PHASA Annual General Meeting.
Website and publications
- Access to Public Health information including PHASA policy statements and guidelines; discussion forums providing contact with Public Health practitioners throughout South Africa and internationally, work and study news and opportunities; opportunities to develop networks in particular subject areas.
- PHASA Newsletter
- PHASA E-updates
- Annual Conference: the association’s largest event, showcasing advances in Public Health research, practice and education. Enjoy the members’ discount to attend. Learn from speakers who are leaders in their fields, debate current public health issues and build networks with colleagues.
- World Health Day: take part and help promote Public Health, with access to ready-made promotional materials and articles, along with information and ideas on planning activities.
- Have access to information on public health developments and training programmes
- SIG's provide specialist knowledge in specific areas of Public Health
- Be informed of, and share, recent public health notices, including events, job opportunities, etc
Take part in PHASA awards by nominating individuals you feel have made outstanding contributions to Public Health.
As a PHASA member your responsibilities are to:
- Adhere to the articles of association.
- Grow the discipline of public health in South Africa, thereby influencing global public health developments
Annual Membership fees (for 2022):
- Student Membership – R150.00
- Non Student Membership – R300.00
- Organisation – R500.00
- If you would like to make a donation to PHASA, please go to the donation page
Please see below to join.
If you need to renew your Membership, please login below. You will be given the option to renew.
(For technical inquiries please contact the web developer at