A small group of professionals working in areas related to Mental Health, responded to the call made by PHASA for members to apply for a Special Interest Groups (SIG) in Mental Health.
The overall aim of this SIG is to be responsive to the public mental health needs of society through advocacy, creating awareness and academic initiatives.
The Special Interest Group agreed to focus on the following objectives:
- To create awareness and reduce stigma associated with mental health seeking behaviour
- To advocate for the upscaling of public mental health interventions and programmes for a healthy South African society
- To contribute to PHASA conferences through the exchange and debate of mental health issues in society thereby fostering a multidisciplinary environment within PHASA
- To promote teaching and research in mental health in the context of public health through links with local and international universities and other statutory bodies
- To disseminate findings of SIG mental health research initiatives through publication
Contact person: Dr Tintswalo Mercy Hlungwani, Tintswalo.email@example.com
Posted in PHASA news