Main purpose of the job
The Violence Against Women (VAW) Study is a randomised control trial aimed at addressing intimate partner violence (IPV) for pregnant women in antenatal care in Johannesburg; it is testing a counselling intervention proven to be effective in other contexts.
The Data Manager II will be responsible for managing the relationship with partners at the World Health Organization in Geneva and for leading data activities to ensure accuracy of the data and good clinical practice (GCP) compliance.
Hugh Solomon Building, Hillbrow
Limited local travel to 4 antenatal clinic sites
Key performance areas
- Establishing priorities for Wits RHI – WHO partnership in regards to data management;
- Conducting weekly data management calls with WHO, actioning items thereafter, communicating progress electronically;
- Communicating and trouble-shooting challenges related to the use of electronic data capture and the data management systems to trial investigators and WHO data analyst;
- Working closely with Research Nurses and site investigators to ensure good quality of data collection and communicating any problems to the study team;
- Liaising with IT department on a monthly basis to ensure database backup and regularly monitor backup of files.
- Resolving data related queries as per data management SOP;
- Maintaining data management documentation;
- Resolving queries in printed case report forms and in the data management system as per data management SOP;
- Preparing for WHO monitoring visits; check and review all data management documentation and any requested information;
- Screening and sending all required data management study related documentation to WHO data analyst (e.g. scanned copy of paper case report forms, data entry discrepancy reports, etc.);
- Producing monthly recruitment, adverse events, protocol violation, and safety reports for the 4 participating sites to WHO project manager and data analyst;
- Processing data daily for the 4 participating sites as per data management SOP and manual of operations;
- Retrieving and sending extracted data from the server weekly;
- Running weekly backup of completed forms from tablets.
Required minimum education and training
Diploma in Information Technology or Statistics (or equivalent)
Required minimum work experience
Minimum 5 years’ experience in data management
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Proven ability to manage data in large, international clinical trials
- Thorough with good attention to detail; ordered and systematic; ability to adhere to protocols.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and databases (eg. SQL)
- Knowledge of electronic data capture will be an advantage
- Able to work to deadlines
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, clearly state which vacancy and area you are applying for and forward your detailed CV to: Yhiba Carmichael-Ginindza at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 0867102864.
The closing date for applications is 13 March 2015.
Posted in Job opportunities