The Wits School of Public Health (WSPH) is one of the largest Schools of Public Health in South Africa, with an international reputation for its teaching programmes, conducting high quality and relevant research, community outreach and policy engagement activities.
Applications are invited for the post of Project Manager to coordinate and manage a multi-million rand research training project funded by the Fogarty International Center and to provide support to academic staff with the implementation and monitoring of the project.
- Ensure overall coordination and provide administrative support for day-to-day operations of the various project components to ensure achievement of overall project goals and outcomes
- Convene meetings, liaise and communicate with partners in the university, government and community-based organisations on a regular basis
- Assist in project planning and monitoring and reporting of project outputs and financial expenditure
- Provide support to academic staff with the development and preparation of various project activities and technical reports
- Oversee the establishment and maintenance of database files and records for the project
- Liaise with School and University Support Services on financial, human resource and procurement issues
Qualifications and experience:
- A 3 year relevant diploma or degree or equivalent is a minimum requirement, preferably in a research project or public sector management field and extensive practical experience
- Excellent project management skills
- Well organised, problem-solver, with sound time-management skills and willingness to work according to deadlines and under pressure
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and to work with and manage people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience of working with donor-funded projects and in a research or academic environment
- Knowledge and experience with the Wits/Wits Health Consortium administrative and financial systems, including Oracle will be an advantage
The remuneration package offered will depend on qualifications and experience and is subject to the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg regulations.
Please note that all shortlisted applicants will be required to do a competency exercise as part of the recruitment and interview process.
Closing date: 16 January 2015
External applicants are invited to apply by registering their profiles and applying on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za
Please include the following:
- A covering letter of motivation
- Detailed CV with names and current e-mail addresses of 3 referees
- Certified copies of qualifications and South African ID or passport/work permit if not South African
Internal applicants may apply directly on Oracle Self-Service.
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference will be given to appointable applicants from the designated South African groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment, to re-advertise and to verify all information provided by candidates. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates.
Posted in Job opportunities