The Wits School of Public Health (WSPH) is one of the largest Schools of Public Health in South Africa, with an international reputation for its teaching programmes, conducting high quality and relevant research, community outreach and policy engagement activities. The WSPH wishes to recruit a Senior IT Support Consultant (Grade IT.09)
Wits Irecruitment reference number: IRC35911
Type: Contract for 3 year period
The Senior IT Support Consultant is responsible for providing on-site information technology support, problem resolution, and consulting services to the School of Public Health (SPH) staff and students and for achieving measurable and demonstrable success in relation to these activities through a rigorous process of continuous improvement, use of key performance indicators, and industry standards and benchmarks. The Senior IT Support Consultant will be based at the SPH, but will form part of the ICT – Student & Client ICT Support Team and will work closely with other CNS senior management groups to ensure the School achieves its strategic, teaching, research and service goals.
- Provide software installation, maintenance and configuration support to desktops* ensuring consistency with University ICT Infrastructure, business systems, and strategic directions to support business capacity and continuity of service.
- Provide support to the e-learning endeavours of the School and ensure that School migrates to a higher level of e-learning
- Provide detailed timely feedback on the service desk management software system in an ongoing manner to ensure the status of any incident under the responsibility of the incumbent is up to date and clear at all times.
- Actively contribute to the documentation of the team to enhance existing procedures, and knowledge base documentation in line with the philosophy of continuous improvement.
- Maintain a high level awareness of current and emerging technologies and provide significant input to strategic planning in relation to current and future desktop* software and hardware requirements of the University
*Desktop in this sense is loosely defined as computing equipment inclusive of desktop, laptops, servers, digital laboratories, class-rooms, research data Centre (server room) and mobile devices.
- Customer Service orientation.
- Matric Certificate and relevant qualifications.
- Appropriate IT Certification
- 3 years of experience in a similar environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with a proven personal commitment to achieving the highest levels of client focus.
- Demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the implementation of best practice, continuous improvement and client focused service delivery standards and methodologies in a large and complex organisation.
- Demonstrated ability to document procedures, FAQ’s, and/or knowledge base articles in order to support an environment of continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated extensive technical knowledge and experience in ICT using LANs, hardware, operating systems, peripherals and demonstrated experience is using desktop utilities.
- Demonstrated extensive technical knowledge in configuring and supporting remote access devices and software, eg Wi-Fi, 3G, ADSL, etc.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge and understanding of ICT infrastructure, business systems and network architecture and high-level proficiency in the application of a wide variety software packages such as Microsoft Office and/or Open Office.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of installing, managing and testing new versions of DBMS such MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.
- Demonstrated hands-on technical knowledge of using virtualization technologies such as VMWare, Zenoss and Virtual box to manage multi-server environment.
- Demonstrated high level conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills and a proven ability to troubleshoot complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective use of Project Management methodologies, tools and techniques, with proven ability to successfully manage a large portfolio of diverse projects.
- Must have at least Code 08 driver’s licence.
- CompTIA A+ & N+ certification.
- Certification for Desktops. Laptops and/or Servers
- Microsoft Solutions Associate (MCSA) Windows 7 / 8 / 2008 / 2012 would be advantageous
- 5 years of experience relating to working within a higher education environment.
Please note that applications have to be done through iRecruitment only. No hardcopies or emails should be submitted.
Please ensure that you include a covering letter, and a detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 contactable referees and copies of certificates/degrees/ diplomas.
External applicants are invited to apply by registering your profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform and submitting your application, or going to the Wits website.
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/”Apply for a job”
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.
Closing Date: 24 October 2014
Posted in Job opportunities