The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African, non-profit organisation headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ASLM’s mission is to advance the laboratory medicine services and networks needed to support preventive medicine, quality patient care and disease control in Africa.
The Director of Programmes position offers the opportunity to help lead a growing and dynamic international non-profit as it expands across the African continent. This role is ideal for those interested in applying skills developed in the public and private sector or technical professionals with excellent project management experience. Help lead the growth of ASLM!
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Programmes oversees all aspects of coordinating and implementing ASLM's continent-wide laboratory strengthening agenda. Specifically, the Director of Programmes will:
- Oversee the implementation of the ASLM-WHO/AFRO Stepwise Laboratory Quality Improvement Process Towards Accreditation (SLIPTA) programme, which helps laboratories identify and respond to gaps in order to improve the quality of services offered to patients.
- Facilitate training activities to support the use of innovative diagnostic technologies, such as Gene Xpert.
- Coordinate technical consultations for African Ministries of Health (MoHs) and other stakeholders on relevant topics of interest, including HIV drug resistance and quality assurance.
- Support gap analyses to evaluate and harmonise training programmes for laboratorians.
- Promote Africa-centred laboratory medicine research efforts via ASLM's research mentorship programme and the African Journal of Laboratory Medicine.
- Oversee a new laboratory mentorship programme in 16 laboratories across 13 countries.
- Manage ASLM's diverse partnership portfolio, which includes relationships with the African Union (AU), African MoHs, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), the London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (LSHTM), UNAIDS, and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Solicit new technical and financial partnerships to support ASLM's work.
Successfully coordinating these initiatives will require the Director of Programmes to effectively manage staff, monitor programmatic budgets, develop work plans, write grants and reports, coordinate with stakeholders, and ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Minimum of MBA or Master’s degree in fields such as medicine, public health, laboratory science, social work, education, or similar, with at least five (5) years of experience in a team management role with demonstrated success developing and evaluating programme models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programmes;
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and programme growth;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for ASLM’s mission.
This position is full-time and subject to available funding. There is no minimum period of employment. ASLM may terminate employment at any time due to funding, or for any other lawful reason. This announcement does not list all the duties of the posted job. Appropriate supervisors or managers may assign other duties. Individual performance evaluations are based in part upon the tasks listed in this announcement. ASLM maintains the right to revise the information found within this announcement at any time. This announcement is not a contract for employment.
Posted in Job opportunities