The School of Public Health and Family Medicine, in the Faculty of Health Sciences at UCT provides a range of under- and postgraduate teaching in population-based public health sciences to students training to be health professionals. The School is looking for a Senior Lecturer to co-ordinate existing undergraduate teaching, develop integrated teaching in clinical years in public health for medical students in the new curriculum and contribute to postgraduate teaching and research.
Qualifications and skills
- A health professional with a postgraduate qualification in public health (Masters or PhD) a minimum requirement
- Experience in undergraduate teaching and assessment
- Co-ordination and administrative skills to run an academic programme
- At least three years’ experience in the public health field following qualification in public health
- Familiarity with the South African healthcare system and the Primary Healthcare Philosophy
- Research experience in public health
- A valid South African driver’s license and own transport
The following would be desirable
- Experience in convening of under- and postgraduate courses
- Qualification in a cognate discipline (i.e. Health Promotion, Child Health, Palliative Care, Family Medicine)
- Qualification in health sciences education
- Convene the current 4th year MB ChB public health course (PPH4013W) and contribute to the integration and redevelopment of the course, in line with faculty priorities.
- Development of public health teaching integrated in clinical settings in years 5 and 6 of the
- MB ChB programme.
- Convene the School’s Undergraduate Education Committee.
- Represent the School in faculty committees dealing with undergraduate education
- Provision of support to other Public Health staff involved in undergraduate teaching activities in Semester 3 to 5.
- Contribute to teaching reviews and redesign of programmes within the School.
- Conduct population-oriented health research in one or more broad public health fields
- Postgraduate student supervision
- Support for engagements with community and civil society groups that facilitate community based learning for students and advance scholarship.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits is appropriate to the academic and clinical level (if applicable) of Senior Lecturer.
Enquiries about this post should be directed to Professor Leslie London, Department of Public Health and Family Medicine at email@example.com
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form (HR201) and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form indicated on the form clearly indicating “Senior Lecturer, Public Health and Family Medicine” followed by the reference number in the subject line to Ms Celeste Booysen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the application form
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Address: Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700, South Africa.
Telephone: +27 21 650 2220
Reference number: SR048/14
Closing date: 14 July 2014
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. See our Employment Equity Policy.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.
Posted in Job opportunities