Minimum educational qualification:
An appropriate qualification (M Med or FCPHM) that allows registration with the Health Professional Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a Medical Specialist in Public Health OR an appropriate qualification that allows registration with the HPCSA as a Dental Specialist in Community Dentistry or equivalent.
Registration with a professional council:
Registration with the Health Professions Council (HPCSA) as a Public Health Specialist or Community Dentist.
Grade 1: None after registration with the HPCSA as Medical Specialist in Public Health or as a Dental Specialist in Community Dentist or equivalent.
Grade 2: A minimum of 5 years appropriate experience after registration with the HPCSA as a Medical Specialist in Public Health or as a Dental Specialist in Community Dentist or equivalent.
Grade 3: A minimum of 10 years appropriate experience after registration with the HPCSA as a Medical Specialist in Public Health or as a Dental Specialist in Community Dentist or equivalent.
- Experience in public health management, health programmes, health system development, and evaluation.
- Insight into public health policies, programmes and health system functioning.
- Efficient communication skills (verbal and written) in at least two of the three official language of the Western Cape, with good report writing skills and good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proficient managerial, project design and project management skills in a health environment.
- Ability work proactively and independently as well as part of a team.
- Intermediate computer literacy in Microsoft Office packages and ability to analyse data/other information.
- Ability to perform costing studies, staff and service scenario planning.
- Ability to conduct independent research and projects and report research or project findings to a professional and non-professional audience
Duties (key result area/outputs):
- Design, manage and implement tools/projects to assess/improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of clinical service delivery/health system functioning.
- Perform the related project management and report writing functions.
- Provide support to the Chief Director: Health Programmes in terms of monitoring and evaluation, budget/statuary as well as performance cycle planning and reporting responsibilities and projects in Health Programmes.
- Provide formal supervision to one or more Public Health registrars within the programme and informal support for registrar teaching within the programme.
- Manage resources related to performing the associated tasks.
irectorate: Health Impact Assessment (Norton Rose House, 8 Riebeek Street, Cape Town)
Grade 1: R 747 564 per annum
Grade 2: R 854 751 per annum
Grade 3: R 991 974 per annum
(A portion of the package can be structured according to the individual’s personal needs).
Enquiries: Dr T Naledi, tel. no. (021) 483-5085
Closing date: 20 March 2014
Please submit your application for the attention of Ms C Versfeld to the Director: Human Resource Management, Department of Health, PO Box 2060, Cape Town, 8000.
Posted in Job opportunities