Minimum educational qualification:
An appropriate degree in a health-related field with a post – graduate qualification in public health or management or a health related field.
A minimum of three years’ experience in health sector management or public health or health policy and planning.
Inherent requirements of the job:
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Ability to travel to the districts and nationally if required.
- Computer literacy.
- Strong leadership, managerial, independent, decision-making, project management and problem solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge and ability to interpret and apply applicable legislation, regulations, national and provincial policies.
- Extensive knowledge of health service delivery systems in the public sector.
- Provide technical leadership and support in planning services within a health systems approach.
- Health policy analysis and development skills.
- Co-ordinate and collate information from various sources and an ability to draft quality documents for publication.
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to work with others and in teams and work under pressure within extremely tight timeframes.
- To motivate and manage staff effectively.
Duties (key result areas/outputs):
- Facilitate the development and planning of the long-term strategic direction of the Department of Health.
- Facilitate the development and compilation of strategic and annual performance plans and the annual report.
- Facilitate the development of health system policy and drafting of provincial health legislation and assess the implications of new legislation for the Department.
- Facilitate the compilation of the departmental input for the Monitoring Performance Assessment Tool (MPAT).
- Risk management support.
- Ensure generic functions (FM, HRM, SCM, LR, HRD).
Note: The person appointed to this position will be subject to security clearance and the signing of a performance agreement and an employment contract. Applicants may be subjected to a competence assessment test.
Purpose: This is a senior management position to facilitate the development of health policy and legislation and facilitate the strategic planning of the Department of Health.
Provincial Government: Western Cape Department of Health, Directorate: Strategic Planning (Head Office, Cape Town)
Remuneration: R 771 306 per annum
(A portion of the package can be structured according to the individual’s personal needs)
Enquiries: Dr K Vallabhjee, tel. no. (021) 483-6865
Closing date: 14 March 2014
Please submit your application for the attention Ms C Versfeld to the Director: Human Resource Management, Department of the Health, PO Box 2060, Cape Town, 8000.
Posted in Job opportunities