Minimum educational qualification:
An appropriate degree in a health-related field.
A minimum of three years managerial experience in the health sector.
Inherent requirements of the job:
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Ability to travel to the districts and nationally if required.
- Project Management.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge of Relevant Acts, Bills and legislation, as well as the national and provincial health policies.
- An in-depth knowledge and experience of management and the administrative processes in the Health Sector.
- The ability to perform a detailed and critical analysis of the performance and cost trends of support services.
- Develop and manage Service Level Agreements with suppliers of support services.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills and knowledge.
- Knowledge of regulatory environment of private health care industry.
- Knowledge of clinical risks and medico-legal implications within a health care environment.
Duties (key result areas/outputs):
- Co-ordinate and manage the regulation of the private health care, community mental health care facilities and ambulance services in terms of licensing and the inspections thereof.
- Co-ordinate the provision of the development of Medico-Legal Policy, protecting the department’s legal interests in the event of litigation and other disputes, matters relating to patient safety, risk management and claims handling.
- Manage the provision of effective, efficient Radiographic Services, with specific reference to the development of policies, protocols for radiographic services within the legislative parameters.
- Manage the provisions of efficient and effective Laboratory Services and Professional Allied to Medicine within the Province, taking into account the efficient management of budgetary resources allocated to these services, this includes the co-ordination of the relationship between the Western Cape Blood Transfusion Services and the NHLS and the Department.
- Manage and co-ordinate safety and security matters in the Department of Health.
- Ensure generic functions (FM, HRM, SCM, LR, HRD).
Note: The person appointed to this position will be subject to security clearance and the signing of a performance agreement and an employment contract. Applicants may be subjected to a competence assessment test.
This is a senior management position in the Department primarily involving the following: To give direction to and co-ordinate the development and consistent application of policy with respect to Security Services, the Departmental requirements relating to PN187 and PN180 and allied legislation, Medico-legal Services, Laboratory and Blood Transfusion Products and Services, Medical Imaging Services and Professions Allied to Medicine, thereby ensuring good quality, cost effective and safe health care, having regard to prevailing legislation and policy.
Provincial Government: Western Cape Department of Health, Directorate: Professional Support Services (Head Office, Cape Town)
R 771 306 per annum (A portion of the package can be structured according to the individual’s personal needs)
Enquiries: Dr K Vallabhjee, tel. no. (021) 483-6865
Closing date: 14 March 2014
Please submit your application for the attention Ms C Versfeld to the Director: Human Resource Management, Department of the Health, PO Box 2060, Cape Town, 8000.
Posted in Job opportunities