The National Clinical Laboratory Services (NCLS) of the Ministry of Health (MOH) has been rolling out point-of-care (POC) diagnostics to rural clinics, public health units, (PHUs) and voluntary counselling and testing units (VCTs) in support of the decentralization of health services by the MOH. With the introduction of POC CD4 technologies, there are now a total of 8 different types of POC tests being conducted in mini laboratories in rural clinics, as well as in specific entry points in hospitals and health centres. As with all new technologies, there is a need to ensure health facilities have the support they require to continue strengthening the quality of the laboratory testing they are providing, and to trouble-shoot potential challenges they may encounter with the introduction of new tests.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), in collaboration with the University Research Co. LLC (URC), is seeking to hire a highly motivated individual as a Mentor for facilities that have rolled out POC laboratory testing. In collaboration with the MOH’s NCLS Quality Team, the individual will provide routine mentorship, oversight, and support to laboratories in rural clinics, public health units, (PHUs) and voluntary counselling and testing (VCTs) settings that conduct POC testing throughout Swaziland. This Mentor will be seconded to the MOH’s NCLS and managed by the Chief Technologist. He or she will spend 60-80% of his/her time in facilities throughout the country.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide on-site training and mentorship on a regular basis to all POC testing operators in facilities, including phlebotomists and nurses, to ensure continuous improvement in the quality of POC testing being offered
- Develop and implement mentorship and supervision plans for the nearly 40 facilities offering POC testing in Hhohho, Lubombo, and Manzini regions
- Assess the tools required to strengthen POC testing in facilities and manage their development, e.g. job aids, standard operation procedures, and data management tools
- Work closely with phlebotomists and nurses conducting POC testing to improve data management and recordkeeping for stock management and quality assurance
- Continually assess training needs of POC operators and coordinate with NCLS Quality Manager to plan required trainings including quality assurance, data management, and supply chain
- Coordinate and oversee external quality assurance program for all POC testing sites and provide feedback to facilities on their performance to enable continuous improvement
- Provide regular mentorship updates and reports to NCLS Chief Technologist and NCLS Quality Manager and all key stakeholders supporting the NCLS in laboratory services.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field
- Diploma in medical technology or comparable experience
- 2-3 years experience in supervisory, mentoring, teaching, or training position with strong diplomacy and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to deliver compelling presentations
- Detail-oriented with excellent organization and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask, and to work independently with a commitment to excellence
- High proficiency in applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience living and/or working in developing countries
- Competency in Siswati/Zulu
Please apply directly
Posted in Job opportunities