The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to strengthening integrated health systems in the developing world and expanding access to care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases. CHAI’s solution-oriented approach focuses on improving market dynamics for medicines and diagnostics; lowering prices for treatment; accelerating access to life-saving technologies; and helping governments build the capacity required for high-quality care and treatment programs.
In 2006, CHAI signed an MOU with the Government of Republic of Zambia to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and strengthen health systems. Currently, CHAI works with the Ministry of Health around HIV care and treatment, malaria, human resources for health, laboratory systems, male circumcision, evidence based decision making, and health financing.
To support CHAI’s work in partnership with Zambia’s Ministry of Health, CHAI is seeking a Health Finance Senior Program Manager. As part of CHAI’s Health Financing team, the Senior Program Manager will provide strategic advice to the Ministry of Health on the financial implications of decisions regarding health programs.
The Senior Program Manager will lead quantification and mapping of funding needs and available resources, helping the government make health financing policy decisions and developing decision tools and costing models. In addition in order to help government raise additional funds, innovative mechanisms for generating revenue will be explored. The Senior Program Manager will lead a team that works closely with the Government as well as donors, NGOs, and civil society organizations.
Manage a small team within CHAI and provide robust strategic and analytical programmatic support to the government in various forms:
- Draft policy memos to inform government, external stakeholders on health financing challenges and opportunities
- Manage development of quantitative models to assess opportunities for improved efficiency and effectiveness of health interventions;
- Lead development of new mechanisms for government to generate revenue for health, projecting potential income and assessing feasibility
- Facilitate meetings with government and external stakeholders to drive operational and policy changes based on financing scenarios;
- Develop and deliver presentations for supporting strategic health financing decisions;
- Track available resources against the country’s financial needs
- Drive internal strategic planning and coordinating activities, communication, and deliverables with CHAI country office, global team and across country teams
- Manage communication with and reporting to program donors
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five years of experience in a private or public sector enterprise, with increasing levels of responsibility and experience managing other individuals
- Strong program management experience including managing and recruiting teams, developing and executing budgets, creating and implementing work plans, and monitoring both program and staff performance
- Very strong quantitative skills, including experiencing developing and analyzing financial models
- Ability to identify key trends from complex datasets and translate them into actionable options for government leaders
- Excellent verbal, visual and written communication skills
- Natural ability to build strategic relationships and interact with individuals of different backgrounds
- English language fluency, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to think strategically about long-term program objectives and the detailed steps necessary to achieve them.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in fast-paced, high-pressure situations
- Ability to work independently on complex projects and solve challenging problems with limited structural or operational support
- Proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Work experience in management consulting, finance and similar private enterprises, or in economics and public-sector financing
- Work experience on national health insurance programs
- Knowledge of or experience with the Global Fund proposal development process as well as other donor funding mechanisms (e.g., IHP, SWAp, HIPC funds,)
- Experience working in developing countries, particularly in the health sector
- Knowledge, experience and interest in innovative financing approaches for developing countries
- Experience with or interest in shaping national health policy decisions
Job ID: 3807
Location: Zambia (Lusaka)
Full Time Paid
Please apply directly only
Posted in Job opportunities