Under the joint supervision of the HIV Technologies and Commodities (HTC) unit of the HIV/AIDS department, the consultant will have the responsibility to implement the technical infrastructure and manage the information needs of surveillance for HIV Drug Resistance (HIVDR). The consultant will be working for 9 months at a fixed rate. The position may require travel
The HIVDR team monitors the global emergence of HIV drug resistance, primarily in low and middle resource countries. Their strategy focuses on a combination of site level early warning indicators and surveys looking at acquired drug resistance in patients receiving antiretroviral therapy and at transmitted drug resistance in treatment naïve populations. Information needs include
Country level HIVDR surveillance strategy data to monitor status of the implementation of the assessments elements
De-identified patient level data from surveys assessing acquired and transmitted HIV drug resistance, including information about treatment regimen and genetic sequence data
Results of HIVDR literature reviews
Description of duties
- Manage the collection of HIVDR surveillance data from country data providers
- Review the structure and quality of submitted information
- Communicate with country data providers to resolve data submission and quality issues
- Perform descriptive analyses of HIVDR surveillance information to monitor country strategies and global HIVDR
- Provide technical assistance to participating countries to establish data submission process
- Advance the systematic, timely and quality submission of data and propose strategies to attain this objective.
- Provide technical assistance to participating countries concerning management and quality assurance of HIVDR surveillance data
- Develop and maintain documentation and data management SOPs and support its implementation
- Manage the HIVDR team data and information resources with support from WHO IT.
- Participate in discussion with WHO technical specialists at WHO to understand the information system requirements for HIVDR surveillance and provide input to the design of supporting information technology tools
- Validate software deliverables according the HIVDR requirements
- Provide support as needed for other HIV department information management activities
Degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics, or public health informatics.
Skills and competencies
- Good analytical skills, especially descriptive analyses
- Good communication and problem resolution skills
- Good knowledge of analytical software such as EpiInfo™ and STATA or SAS
- Expert skills manipulating data into appropriate data sets for specific analyses
- Logical and organized thought processes for system and procedural improvements.
- Good knowledge of database design and relational database management system
- Attention to detail for errors and data inconsistencies.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds, as well as work independently with limited supervision
- Knowledge of best practices in quality review of data in an information system
- Ability to train others in data management including quality assurance reviews
- Familiarity with project life cycle and implementation strategies
- Proficient in Windows based database software (and good skills in working with MS SQL Server databases
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and web based applications
- Excellent skills in Excel
- Adaptable to new technologies
- Familiarity with MS SharePoint
- At least 5 years of professional experience planning and producing descriptive analyses and data quality assurance reviews
- At least 3 years of experience manipulating complex relational database structures
- At least 2 years of experience working to improve data quality at a state or provincial level
- At least 2 years of experience selecting and implementing information technology tools for data management
- Experience working in an international environment
- Experience working in the field of HV
- Experience with MS SharePoint, MS Access, Inetsoft
- Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Other languages a plus.
Location of consultancy: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration: 15 May 2013 – 31 December 2013
Salary: approx. 7,000 USD/month
CV of candidates should be sent to Judith VAN HOLTEN (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 25, 2013.
Posted in Job opportunities