National Institute For Communicable Diseases (NICD), South Africa Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (SAFELTP) , South Africa Regional Global Disease Detection Centre (NICD) is looking for a Medical Officer/Public Health Specialist/Epidemiologist: Fixed Term Contract- 12 Months (Renewable), Payzone depends on experience, salary range (R756 586.00pa – R1345 459.00pa), NICDCDCGDD113/001-02(96501.001.1511).
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Participate in recruitment and selection of SAFELTP trainees and field supervisors
- Represent the programme in meetings and conferences and advocate the programme to different stakeholders
- Prepare periodic FELTP evaluation and progress reports of residents core activities of learning and competencies
- Develop curriculum and training materials and take part in teaching and evaluating course
- Participate in administration of examination and assessment processes of residents core activities of learning and competencies
- Conceptualise hypothesis driven research studies that are relevant to the needs of field placement
- Liaise with other administrative staff and academic colleagues
- Develop and teach appropriate short courses on basic and applied epidemiology
- Ensure completion of student evaluations
- Provide technical mentorship to residents
- Provide technical assistance to field sites of the provincial department of health
- Liaise with the site supervisor to identify placement sites based on an agreed selection criteria
- Identify and train field supervisors and identify appropriate projects with site supervisor for resident’s core competencies
- Carry out on-site field supervision in outbreak investigation
- Supervise residents for data analysis
- Supervise residents for evaluation and development of public health surveillance systems
- Review protocols, reports, manuscripts and presentations prepared by Residents
- Assist residents to acquire the required competencies while in the field and too collaborate in this endeavour with the SAFELTP staff, Resident Advisors and Field Supervisors
- Assist residents in the design, implementation, analysis and writing of studies and field reports and in preparation of presentations for local and international scientific conferences
- Develop, review and implement curriculum and guidelines for field supervision of residents by site supervisors
- Prepare the timetable and field rotation schedules
- Liaise with partner institutions, other institutions, external agencies, government departments in regard to field placement of the residents
- Coordinate all field work related activities and ensure the quality and completion of field placements
- Coordinate and run short courses for interest groups
- Participate in developing grant proposals for continued financial support of the programme
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
Key Competence Requirements:
- MD with MMed or College of Medicine qualification in Community Medicine/Public Health at PhD level or Master’s in Public Health
- Registration with a HPCSA
- Post qualification experience in Community Health/Public Health/Disease Control
- Project management experience
- Teaching experience
- Curriculum development
- Knowledge of epidemiological methods
- Advance computer literacy
- Research skills and publication record
- Communication and organisational skills.
Interested internal persons who meet the requirements are invited to send a concise CV to Human Resources via fax: 086 509 8505 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries may be directed to Kgaugelo Mkwanazi @ (011) 386 6090
Please indicate the reference number of the post.
Reference, ITC and Criminal checks will be conducted.
Closing date: 13 March 2013.
Posted in Job opportunities