The Axios Foundation (Axios) is dedicated to increasing access to care in developing countries through innovative approaches, with emphasis on improving health and social systems and building local capacity. Axios provides strategic consulting and implementation services that increase access to medicines, diagnostics and healthcare. Axios provides its clients with expert knowledge of HIV, cancer and other chronic diseases, as well as specialized expertise in healthcare delivery in low- and middle- income countries. In collaboration with its clients, Axios is dedicated to improving access to healthcare in low- and middle-income countries.
Axios Foundation is seeking Senior Advisor, Health Financing candidates for the upcoming USAID-funded Health Systems Strengthening Project in South Sudan. The goal of the Health Systems Strengthening Project is to increase the ownership and capacity of County Health Departments (CHDs) and State Ministries of Health (SMOHs) to ensure the provision of high quality primary health care in Western Equatoria State (WES) and Central Equatoria State (CES). The Health Systems Strengthening Project will facilitate the implementation of more effective management systems and processes that enable the provision of higher quality health care services and, thus, better health status outcomes.
The Senior Advisor, Health Financing will develop and oversee implementation of financial mechanisms for planning and budgeting at the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) and County Health Departments (CHDs), and ensure effective monitoring, control systems and auditing procedures are in place. The Senior Advisor will work with the SMOH and CHDs to establish demand-side incentives for fiscal responsibility, involving community participation, and ensuring accountability and oversight. The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan.
- Strengthen health financing capacity within the respective CHDs and SMOH managers to implement and oversee health budgets in the states of Western (WES) and Central Equatoria (CES). Develop skills in auditing, budget management and oversight, and financial analysis for managers at both the state and county levels.
- Develop and implement a standardized training program for CHD and SMOH staff, to include topics such as planning, utilization of data for decision making, budgeting, etc.
- Based on state and county health plans, determine potential resource gaps at the CHD and/or SMOH levels. Where appropriate and feasible, assist in the resolving those gaps.
- In collaboration with other technical staff, GOSS officials, and other agencies, work to ensure that work plans and scopes of work are clearly understood.
- In collaboration with other technical staff, GOSS officials, and other agencies involved, participate in the design of health service performance indicators, targets, and incentive structures.
- Work with the technical and financial teams to review service delivery performance.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other USAID/South Sudan-funded programs to facilitate improved CHD supervision of facility-level management and decision making.
- Ensure the timely and quality completion of all relevant program deliverables and reporting.
- Assists in preparation of technical briefings, reports and documents.
- Provide updates to the Chief of Party, including timely delivery of required reports and data.
- Participate in field visits and technical activities.
- Masters level degree in a relevant field such as public health, public administration, health administration, finance, etc.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated expertise, with substantial developing country context experience, in facilitation of health financing system development and strengthening, including central level coordination and systems integration.
- Experience in capacity building in the area of financial management.
- Demonstrated extensive experience in developing budgets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Previous experience in a developing country context is required.
To apply for this position, please email your CV to email@example.com
Include your name, along with the title of the position you are applying for, in the subject line.
Posted in Job opportunities